• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Are you addicted to the nighttime?

Gerbee

Bluelighter
Ok so I have this problem and have for as long as I can remember and was wondering if anyone else experiences this and if anyone knows if this is a real medical condition.

Quite simply, I am addicted to the nighttime, and when I say that, I don't just mean it's awesome, but I am honestly unable to fall asleep at night, even if I am tired as hell that day. It's like I get this extra burst of energy at night for no other reason than just being fucking excited that it's dark out, even if I have no plans to go out or do anything that night.
I havent been able to actually go to sleep until the sun comes up since I can remember, unless sedatives were involved..
Some would say, well just dont sleep for one day and get back on a regular schedule that night, but I can't do it even if I am sooo tired that whole day. For example, yesterday I decided I would not go to bed when the sun came up, and I was fucking tired all day, but I didn't give in and sure enough as the sun went down I got that rush again (almost like rolling) and didn't feel tired at all..

Any knowledge, comments, or health advice would be much appreciated.

Yes. I typically wake up around 7pm and go to bed around noon. More specifically:

7pm: wake
7-9pm: go shopping, buy "breakfast" as a dinner meal from a resturaunt about to close.
9-10pm: watch TV
10pm-5am: paperwork, pay the bills, apply for jobs, research for jobs, play on BL
5-7am: gym/exercise
7-9am: "dinner" as a "breakfast" dish at a cafe. Often will do casual reading there.
9am-12pm: wind down, talk with friends, have a shower. Go to sleep.

It's good, because the majority of my friends live in Australia, so I'm more or less on their clock. So it's easier to keep in real-time contact.

Yea I sorta got the same problem but I'm able to sleep if I try though.
I just don't want to go to sleep because I feel so relaxed. I think it's because my subconcious realises that the day is over and I'm not obligated to do anything. That just makes me feel totally relaxed.

Yeah my ex was like this. She used sleeping pills or dealt iwth being tired. It must suck.

Redleader: How do you hold a job like that? I think its cool to go on a counterclock so to speak..but it must be hard to live a 'normal' life and have a job, etc.

Yes, I'm this way too. I went to a sleep neurologist a few years ago and he said it's called delayed sleep phase syndrome. If you want to sleep at a normal time stay up a few hours later every night, and once you get to where you are sleeping at night and awake during the day like a normal person, go to sleep at the same time from then on. Follow all these rules at this web page carefully:

http://www.umm.edu/sleep/sleep_hyg.htm

The most important thing is to keep a set schedule and DO NOT break it. Go to sleep and wake up at the same exact time every day. Don't stay up or sleep in late EVER. Don't take naps or drink caffeine 6 hours before bedtime either. Also go out in the sun when you wake up in the morning, because that resets your internal sleep clock. That's also why you shouldn't look at computer screens or TVs or any other bright sources of light near bedtime.

That's how I've dealt with it.

A couple more things:

Fans are useful for blocking out background noise.
A foam mattress pad makes a cheap mattress a lot more comfortable.
It's hard to sleep in a hot, stuffy room, so make sure your room is well ventilated.
Read to clear your mind of things before you go to sleep.
Don't lay in your bed awake for hours if you can't fall asleep. Get up and do something else.

Redleader: How do you hold a job like that? I think its cool to go on a counterclock so to speak..but it must be hard to live a 'normal' life and have a job, etc.

I'm not working any conventional job right now. I have a part-time gig going on, where I write solution manuals for college textbooks, and I have one client whom I tutor twice a week in the morning for money. Concerning the first, I basically get paid "by the page" and can work from home, setting my own hours. Admittedly I am living rather frugally right now (gettin by on the above income and subtracting a bit from my personal savings), but I don't mind.

I just graduated from my MSc program, and I'm trying to decide whether to A) get my PhD, B) get a job overseas, C) get a domestic job, D) something else. But ya, I kind of burnt out academically, and had some addiction problems, so I'm giving myself a break and trying to figure out "what I want to do with my life" from here. I plan on this "transition period" being no longer than a year, so the sleep schedule is only temporary. I'm actually terrified of getting a real job, though, since again I am at home in this thread.

As for living a normal life, it is a bit strange, yes. However, I'm used to it. Concerning my family, my sister (who probably doubles as my best friend) is also nocturnal, and my mother works nightshifts. I still can socialize at night and stuff, and it does feel kind of weird showing up to a bar right after waking up, but I've learned to accept it. If I were less of an introvert and more of a social butterfly, I could see it getting more complicated.

My working hours are 2 to 11 pm. I usually sleep between 5 to 8 am every single morning and wake up before lunch. (three times a week I wake up earlier to go to the gym.) Im a night owl and used to be a huge insomniac and this work schedule suits me just purrrrfectly.

If I didn't have work and what-not, I'd probably go to sleep at about 4:00 AM, and wake up around 3:00 PM.

^yup. Having a 'proper' life where there are responsibilities for rising on time sucks! :)

I can't say much. I deliver papers for a living. I get up around 230am, get done about 630am. I sleep before and after the route. I'm always tired no matter how much I sleep though. Thank god for caffeine and ritalin. And energy drinks. And b complex vitamins. 0